Importance of Lifeguarding
In Aquatic Fundamentals today, we were educated on the number of drownings per year and how important it is to pay attention at all times when lifeguarding. Roughly 80-100 individuals drown in Pennsylvania per year, not to mention drowning is the leading cause of infant fatalities. The five signs of drowning are; facing the shore, mouth at water level, head tilted back, body is vertical, and climbing a ladder motion. Failure to recognize these signs can be due to intrusion (performing a secondary duty) and distractions. Therefore, being aware and alert is so important when lifeguarding, but also the training a lifeguard receives is crucial.
I took that class last fall, so I remember learning this information. Especially as physical educators, it is very important for us to know these skills because if we get a job at a school with a pool, the student's safety becomes our responsibility. I remember Mr. Ogoreuc telling us time and time again how important it is to actively scan the zone you are responsible for. Great post!
ReplyDeleteI had no idea that there are that many cases of individuals that drown in Pennsylvania per year! That is an insane number to think about! I appreciate that you listed the five signs of drowning to be able to notice when there are people/kids swimming. I can then see why it is so important for lifeguards to be alert and aware when they are on the stand, as well as someone who may just be at the pool or near the water in general.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this. People need to realize how important lifeguards are. We as people also need to learn how to recognize the signs of drowning. So when you go to a pool make sure to pay attention to the water. Especially with infants.
ReplyDeleteI love this information! I took that class last fall as well, the information learned in this course is crucial to our future career, the community, is pretty much helpful in any realm. Not many people know those facts about drowning. Education is the most helpful thing you can do.
ReplyDelete